The Brownie 8 mm. Movie Camera was introduced by the Eastman Kodak Company of Rochester, U.S.A. and first imported into Britain in 1955. In the following year British production of the same model began at the Harrow factory of Kodak Limited.
The first series was fitted with a single ƒ 2.7 lens and open frame finder. In 1957 a model II was introduced with “Sundial” type exposure calculator incorporated in the front panel. In 1958 a new lens with maximum aperture of ƒ 1.9 was fitted, and the open frame finder was superseded by an optical finder with plastic front and rear elements. A more powerful spring motor, providing a continuous run of 9 ft. of film (40 seconds of screen time) at one winding, was also fitted at this time.
There are two current American single-lens models. One is fitted with an ƒ2.3 lens and is otherwise similar to the British ƒ1.9 model, the other has an ƒ1.9 lens and a restyled trim and front panel. The controls on the latter model are the same as on other single-lens models.
The Turret ƒ1.9 model was also introduced in 1958. Basically similar to the single lens model, it incorporates wide-angle and telephoto converter lenses in a movable turret on the front panel in place of the exposure calculator.
All turret and ƒ 1.9 single lens models have been fitted with an anti-clock springing device from early 1959.